hsbc logo
Web www.berkshistory.org
Neversink Mountain Railroad

 Commenced operating in June 30,1890, the third electric railroad in the United States, and the first electric railroad in America operated by water power. The water-power plant of 1000 HP was located at the "Big Dam" on the Schuykill River, below Reading. Edison electric generators were connected to the water turbines. The railroad was Standard Gauge, 56 lb steel rails were used. Each car had two motors of 25 HP each, these were later increased as they were not sufficient to pull the grades. The Neversink Mountain Railroad ceased operations in 1917 due to financial difficulties.
 

Power Station on the Big Dam The 'Big Dam' and power station which supplied the electricity that powered the Neversink Mountain Railroad.
White House on south 9th street The White House on south 9th street, at the base of the Neversink Mountain Railroad.
Inclined Railroad and Highland House A view looking south on south 13th street showing the Neversink Mountain Inclined Railroad and the Highland House atop Neversink Mountain. The inclined railroad was built in 1883.
Highland House The Highland House. The 118 room hotel was built in 1884 and was destroyed by fire in October of 1930.
Railroad Car A Neversink Mountain Railroad car crossing a bridge in Klapperthal Park.
Klapperthal Pavilion The Klapperthal Pavilion on the river side of Neversink Mountain. The pavilion boasted the largest dance floor in Pennsylvania. It was demolished in 1903.
Klapperthal Glen A Neversink Mountain Railroad car in Klapperthal Glen.
Two cars on Neversink Mountain Two cars in transit on the Neversink Mountain Railroad.
Klapperthal Station Klapperthal Station
Images from the Historical Society of Berks County Pa archives
Berks History Center  940 Centre Avenue  Reading,  Pennsylvania  19601  Phone 610-375-4375
Copyright 2014 Historical Society of Berks County DBA Berks History Center. All Rights Reserved